Donald is one of the newest members of our Customer Experience team. On any given day, you’re likely to find him spreading his positive energy to all of us at the office, and because of that, we’re happy to have him as part of the Ledbury family. It didn’t take long for us to realize that Donald is a man of many talents. He’s great with customers, great at bowling, great at photography and great at karaoke — to name a few. We often wonder if there’s anything that he doesn’t do well. (By Donald's own admission, he’s not the best at drawing.) In a moment of downtime, we caught up with Donald to find out more about his approach to dressing, the activities that he enjoys when he’s off the clock, and the presents on his Holiday list.
You’re one of the sharpest dressers at the office. What is your philosophy on personal style and getting dressed?
What it comes down to, for me personally, is not getting wrapped up into trends. It’s important to know what you’re comfortable with, how garments fit, and what’s going to make you feel the best. It’s important to have a good grasp on your personal style and wear pieces that complement you. In terms of putting an outfit together, I generally decide on a specific piece that I want to wear and build around it.
What do you enjoy the most about working at Ledbury?
It’s really the people. The people here are smart and very driven. We’re very diverse, with so many of us having different talents. It’s inspiring. More than anything, people are very nice here. We collaborate and everyone helps each other out. It’s one of the best work environments I’ve ever been in.
You’re relatively new to Richmond by way of Raleigh, NC by way of Washington, DC. Where are some of your favorite places to go and things to do when you’re off the clock?
I’ve been here since May. One of my favorite things to do on the weekend is to get brunch. I love to go to Joe’s Inn
and I went to The Continental Westhampton
for the first time for brunch a few weekends ago. I also really enjoy running. My normal route is to run down Monument Avenue
and check out all the monuments and houses. Lastly, my favorite thing to do is go to karaoke on Wednesday nights at Ipanema
You are the most enthusiastic karaoke singer out of all of us at the office. What are your go to songs?
I actually keep a list on my phone:
Fiona Apple, “Criminal”
Prince, "I Would Die 4 U"
Usher, “Nice and Slow”
Jennifer Paige, "Crush"
What’s the best gift you’ve ever given? The best you’ve ever received?
Years back, I gave a ring to a girlfriend. It featured an emerald, which was special to her because it was her birthstone and her family was Irish. It wasn't given to signify any specific occasion, but it was a spontaneous gift and she was very surprised.
The best gift I ever received came to me at a white elephant gift exchange. Someone brought a vintage Lagerfeld leather and suede travel bag. I wanted it the moment someone else unwrapped it and I somehow ended up with it. That was years ago and I’ve used that bag for every trip I’ve been on since.
What do you hope to find under the tree this year?
The Fairlight Denim
– This is a newer Short Run shirt that I really like. I layer a lot and I normally wear denim over my button-down collar shirts. The club collar on this shirt is another nice touch.
The Grey Melange Rittenhouse
– This is another great neutral shirt and option for layering. The fabric has a nice texture that makes it stand out.
Coach -- Bleecker Legacy Money Clip Card Case
– I'm in desperate need of a new wallet. The smaller, the better, so I go with a card case. This time around I'm leaning towards this card case with money clip from Coach. I'm confident that the quality will be on par with so many of the other leather goods they're known for.
The Grey Camden Lambswool Scarf
– I don't like to wear big coats during the winter, so I often need a scarf or hat to keep me warm. This is a great neutral option for cooler days that can work with just about any outfit.
Cheap Monday — Stay Parka
– As I mentioned earlier, I'm partial to lightweight outerwear since I tend to feel relatively warm most of the time. You can't go wrong with black, and I love the interesting details like the slanted pockets and fishtail in the back.